South Dakota Opportunity Scholarship
The South Dakota Opportunity Scholarship provides $5,000 over four years to a qualifying student who attends an eligible higher education institution in SD:
|$1,000||1st year of attendance|
|$1,000||2nd year of attendance|
|$1,000||3rd year of attendance|
|$2,000||4th year of attendance|
One-half of the annual scholarship award will be distributed at the beginning of the fall semester and the other half distributed at the beginning of the spring semester.
NOTE: If the number of eligible recipients exceeds the amount of money appropriated for the scholarship by the SD Legislature, the scholarship may be prorated and distributed to each recipient proportionately.
- Be a resident of South Dakota at time of high school graduation.
- Have an ACT composite score of 24 or higher. If using a SAT score, the sum of the verbal and mathematics scores on the SAT must be at least 1070.
- Complete high school course requirements commonly known as the Regents Scholar curriculum with no final grad below a C(2.0 on a 4.0 scale) and a cumulative high school GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale (grade of B).
- Attend university, college, or technical school accredited by the North Central Association (NCA) and that provides instruction from a campus located in SD.
- Enter into program within 5 years of high school graduation, or within 1 year of the student's release from active duty military service (if that release is within 5 years of the date of the student's high school graduation).
- May participate in South Dakota Opportunity Scholarship Program for the equivalent of four academic years (eight consecutive fall and spring terms), or until attaining a baccalaureate, associate, or technical degree, whichever comes first.