College Planning Checklist
Not only is college planning a major event in the lives of high school seniors, but also in the lives of the parents. Many of you may be experiencing this process for the first time and it can, at times, seem overwhelming. As much as MMC Enrollment Counselors are committed to assisting your student through the admissions, financial aid, and enrollment processes, they are also there to assist you in any way possible. To help you get started, we have some suggestions for you below.
- Plan ahead for college finances by saving for college.
- Discuss the college decision making process with your child. Allow him/her to make the decisions.
- Visit schools with your child and make sure you ask questions on your campus visit.
- Visit with your child's guidance counselor to ensure that your child is taking appropriate classes for admission to college.
- Search on-line for scholarships for your child.
- Talk to your employer, church, and organizations you belong to for scholarship opportunities.
- Attend a Financial Aid Presentation offered by your child's school.
- Make your child do the work in the college planning process like applying and writing essays. Don't do the work for them, but you can certainly help in ways such as reminding them of application and scholarship deadlines.
- Do taxes ASAP after January 1st so you can get financial aid applications in early for the best financial aid packages.
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
- Buy MMC clothing to support your child's school.
- Sign up for the Pre-Orientation Program - an online program to assist in the transition to life at Mount Marty College. The Pre-Orientation Program begins in June.
- Consider a credit card for your child to use only in emergency situations.
- Arrange for calling cards for long-distance calling or sign up for a personal 1-800 number for your child's calls home.
- Have a graduation party!
- Attend Parents Orientation during New Student Orientation.
- Attend Family Weekend.
- Congratulations, you made it!